Saturday, December 5, 2009

Blog Name

The name of the blog is derived of course, from "On the Shoulders of Giants" (If I have seen farther than other men it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.")

At the Blair House reception Dr. John Holdren, Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, said that the Laureates in the room are "giants in their fields." This statement, blatantly true, made my husband laugh out loud This though he is widely believed to have been eligible to win for numerous accomplishments and may add yet another Nobel worthy achievement (See Nicholas Wade NY Times piece on Oct. 6, 2009.)

As they learn about Jack's honor folks want very much to congratulate me and have said "you gave him support." I hope I have been near as much a blessing in his life as he has been in mine but the fact remains that I was in high school when this particular work was being done - the telomere and telomerase work. So I say to these kind folks, "I am just hitching a ride."
The tux all men are required to wear to the award ceremony has gorgeous tails. So what better ride to hitch than on the coat tails of a Laureate to all the festivities. And all these Laureates, are indeed, giants in their fields. I am honored to be among them for this Magic Week and hope to make the best of it, & share with you all that goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment