Sunday, December 6, 2009

Washington D.C.. After The Oval Office,

Leaving the White House we turned in our visitor tags where the guard said "No souveniers, but you can take a leaf." There was indeed a beautiful tree there, looked like it must related to the olive tree, but then I never did study plant biology.

Across the street we went to Blair House. A U.S. Marine string quartet played, and very well at that. We chedked our coats and were admitted to a room already a whirl with folks, none of whom seemed in any hurry to introduce themselves to the Laureates. Politicians and their staffers mostly. The ones who were there and I did catch hob nobbing included the head of NASA. Jack was quite happy that I had snagged a photo of the two of them chatting.

Most of what I did was take pictures (I will load these tomorrow.) The hall we were in was domed and quite pretty, with court yards on either side. Seasonal decorations were up. I know people hate when these decorations are not called Christmas decorations, but bringing greenery and light into homes precedes Christmas and we do it in our home to recognize the season - i.e., early winter, so I won't presume to call them anything but lovely.

I spoke with one or two people and then someone was at the podium. Conversation stopped as the Protocol Officer began her comments. She introduced the congressmen and assorted Washington, D.C. who's who in the room and, almost as an after thought, went on to say that the Laureates were there. And I had thought they were the reason for the reception. She listed them and I was pleased that she nearly managed the pronunciation of Szostak. But when she failed to mention Elinor Ohstrom, the only woman ever to win a Nobel Prize in economics, I was embarrassed for her. When she showed more concern over having missed a member of the House in attendance than dissing a woman their to be honored I was appalled. I am beginning to wonder, as much as I support President Obama, who are these women he has hired? I mean, honestly, if you are giving a reception for the Laureates, have ALL their names on your list. If you forget to mention one, make a big deal of it, because, frankly, it is a big deal. You screwed up big. Your job was to honor them and you dissed one. Some mea culpas are called for. The only other truly notable moments were when John Holdren announced he would not try to list people as he would only embarass himself by leaving folks off, and then when he made my husband laugh by calling the assembled laureates giants in their fields.

So, we went back to the hotel. I went back to a small antiquarian bookstore while Jack and Aran took a walk along the river and Eamon rested in our suite. I found a book called Nobelpristädt in Lindau, a book of the Nobel lecture in Lindau in the summer of 1963, inscribed to President Kennedy. It seemed a good gift for my husband until I realized I am more excited by old volumes than he is.

Time escaped from me in amongst the musty volumes of Conrad and Thoreau and I was late getting back and dressing in preparation for my salon appointment. I know, how boring, but the man who did my make up has gone to the White House salon to do Michelle Obama's makeup. He has met the daughters and had to say about our driven, brilliant, beautiful, first lady that she is "a really good mother." I think she would like this. He has no basis for judging her scholarship or legal saavy, but he has seen her parent. And he did a fabulous job on me. Once my hair was up and makeup done I was ready to head out with all to the dinner at the Swedish Amdassador's dinner.

The bus was late leaving as we waited for the Swedish astronaut (there is only one) and his wife. All through the evening The National song, kept playing through my head, "we're out looking for astronauts, looking for astronauts." But he was found and we arrived. I was mingling nicely, having just finished a short shat with the head of the CBO and his Brookings Institute mate when my husband asked me if I had looked at the names on the table cards in the hall. "Nope," said I. "Justice Breyer and Justice Ginsberg are out there."

And indeed, they were. So more on that nuch later. Next, arriving in Stockholm, or why you never see celebrities at baggage claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment